Saturday, July 1, 2017

A "HAPPIE" A DAY!

Oh, happy day!

It's July 1st and our "happies" have arrived! Carolyn Kisloski and I have been working months on these packets and we feel like proud parents! We want to share the best of our 60+ years of teaching to make your new school year the HAPPIEST and BEST ever for you and your children!
                                     
One year when I was teaching college students I had an "issue" with administration. (Yep! It happens to all of us when we try and stand up for our students and what we think is right.) One of my students sensed my distress and said, "Dr. Jean, don't let them take away your joy!" That comment has stuck with me and that's what I want to pass on to you. I can't do anything about your standards, curriculum, assessments, or the other expectations and demands of your job, but I can give you a little something each day to lighten your load. And, like the song, maybe a "little bit of sugar will help the medicine go down."

Love what you do and believe it matters! Know that this might be the best year of their lives for some of the children in your classroom. Understand brain research, active learning, and how children learn so you can validate what you are doing in your classroom. And, let me help you with a little "happie" each day to fill you with JOY!


Happy #1 - Rise and shine with a good morning song!
There's nothing like a song to prompt children for the day and put a smile on their faces.  I would choose one good morning song and use it each day for a month or more.  Using the same song acts like an "indicator" activity in the brain.  It says to the children, "Let's come together and get ready to learn."  I'd also choose a song where children stand and move.  That will get oxygen going to the brain and release the wiggles.  Remember, even if you think you "can't sing," the kids won't know it if you are enthusiastic!

Rise and Shine
Rise and shine, (Bend down, then rise and put arms in air.)
And welcome to school today. (Clap to the beat.)
Rise and shine, (Bend down, then rise and put arms in air.)
And welcome to school today. (Clap.)
Rise and shine, (Bend down, then rise and put arms in air.)
And welcome to school today. (Clap.)
We’re so glad you’re here! (Shake hands.)

A little louder… (Sing loud.)
A little softer… (Sing soft.)
Whisper version… (Whisper words.)


*Adapt the words "welcome to school today" to "welcome to kindergarten" or welcome to "Jackson School."

Sing along with me on this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyAD2OoFuoY
       

Want to know more about our monthly "happies"?

No comments:

Post a Comment

FRIENDSHIP BLOCKS

If I could have two things in my classroom I would ask for books and blocks.  (It makes me angry when I hear that administrators have taken ...