Saturday, July 8, 2017

FRIENDSHIP BLOCKS

If I could have two things in my classroom I would ask for books and blocks.  (It makes me angry when I hear that administrators have taken blocks out of kindergarten classrooms!)  Free block play is important, but you can also use blocks to enhance learning opportunities.

What?  square blocks, photos of children, clear packaging tape

How?  Take photos of children and tape them to the blocks as shown.  Include their name on the block.

Introduce the friendship blocks with a name song like this one to the tune of "Where Is Thumbkin?"  Put the blocks in a box and pull out one at a time.
Where is ___
Where is ___
Here I am.   (Hold up the child's block.)
Here I am.
We're so glad to see you.
We're so glad to see you.
Back in the box.
Back in the box.  (Put the block back in the box.)
Put the box in the block center for free play and exploration.  Children will be tickled to see their face and name on a block as they build and play with their friends.

Math:
Use blocks for counting.  How many can you stack?
Use blocks for comparisons.
Use blocks for sorting.

No comments:

Post a Comment

FRIENDSHIP BLOCKS

If I could have two things in my classroom I would ask for books and blocks.  (It makes me angry when I hear that administrators have taken ...